This place is incredible!

Ken, Saturday, March 8, 2008 3:31 PM

To overcome the loneliness and boredom of being without Laura I've had to be a little creative. Today was a first for me. I snowboarded and mountain biked in the same day. Try doing that in the Bay Area!

I started out the morning at Eldora snowboarding, where it was around 30 degrees and lightly snowing. They got a foot of snow this week and a little bit last night, so the conditions were pretty good. I bought a season pass, so I could justify ducking out a little early, and came home for lunch. It's an easy 45 minute drive from our house to Eldora.

After lunch, I swapped my snowboard for my mountain bike, and went to Marshall Mesa, which is right at the foothills of the Flatirons south of Boulder. The Flatirons are the famous rock faces lining the mountains which Boulder is tucked up against. It was 50 degrees and partly cloudy. Great weather really. All I needed was a windbreaker.

The bike ride was awesome, even if it was a little short and flat. There's a system of trails which run through open fields with spectacular views of the Flatirons. I had to turn back early because it got muddy closer to the mountains, but I'm looking forward to exploring it more once "Mud Season", as the locals affectionately call this time of year, is over.

Quite a day ...
Comments
Blogger Helen, March 8, 2008 at 5:10 PM

You will probably be in the best shape of your life living in Boulder. What a day, biking and snowboarding in the same day! You will soon have your partner to join you---yaaaaah hooooooo xoxo Grammie

Post a Comment