Snakes on a Hike!!

Laura, Friday, May 2, 2008 2:39 PM

On Wednesday, I went on a hike in South Boulder near an area called Table Mesa, into Bear Canyon along Mesa Trail. It was a beautiful day...the sun was out and there was a slight breeze. After getting spooked by two snakes and spotting bear tracks (or what appeared to be bear tracks...you be the judge), I decided it was time to turn around. The picture above is of the second snake I encountered, as the first one had me sprinting away. While it looks small and unintimidating, I'm still having nightmares about the first (BIG) one. Snakes definitely have a way of seeking me out. As Ken can tell you, we see a snake on almost every hike we go on, and I've mountain biked over two of them! About three years ago, I almost stepped on three snakes (two male snakes trying to fertilize the egg of a female snake) as I stepped out on the porch. Since I always have my camera nearby, click here for the proof.

To see pictures of my solo hike, click here.
Comments
Blogger Helen, May 3, 2008 at 9:25 AM

Wow, snakes do give us the shivvers! We have seen some here on the ranch, mostly gopher snakes and striped racers. There have been a few small rattle snakes as well. They are among us! You need hiking boots. Snakes that strike, are able to strike a distance of 1/2 their body length. That's a good thing to remember. love, Grammie

Post a Comment