8 days with the Fam

Laura, Saturday, August 2, 2008 8:59 AM

On Tuesday night, I got back from spending eight fantastic days in Southern California with my family. I flew in on Tuesday, July 22, and spent a night with my brother (David) and his girlfriend (Megan) at their amazing Marina del Rey apartment. We had a fantastic meal at a local Thai place, spent some time by the marina, and watched a bunch of old family videos. Here's a pic of my brother getting ready to bike to work.

On Wednesday, I went to my grandparent's house for three days. My grandmother and I got to spend a lot of quality time together and had fun shopping in LA. We had some delicious meals together with my grandfather, and like always, it went by too fast. On Friday, my grandmother hosted a small luncheon with her friends to celebrate her granddaughter's soon-to-be wedding. Here's a shot of my grandmother, my mom and me -- three generations!
Saturday morning, my dad and I woke up at 5am and drove to the mountains for an overnight backpacking trip on Mount San Antonio (10,064'). The reason for our early departure? We volunteered to help carry aluminum roofing up to the San Antonio Ski Hut (around 8'200). I soon found I was somewhat useless trying to help carry these 12' long 70 lb. aluminum sidings up the switchbacks to the ski hut with my overnight backpack on. However, my dad was a big help... he made it look so easy!

We spent a few hours at the ski hut enjoying some refreshing beverages and some jalapeno hummus (yum), and around 4:30pm, we decided to make the trek to the summit. Around 6pm, we made it to the top, made dinner and tea, and spent a great night under the stars at 10,064. We hiked backed Sunday on the Devil's Backbone trail, which took us by the Mt Baldy ski resort. It was a great trip. It was a good chance to meet a lot of my dad's hiking buddies, spend some quality time with my Mtn Dad, and get a good workout. Click here to see pictures of our backpacking adventure.

...and it wouldn't truly be a hike without spotting a snake, or a rattler for that matter!
Monday, we went to Zuma beach for some relaxation and sunshine. Click here to see pictures of our beach trip.
Comments

Post a Comment